Yes, you can use your Sony A7 III (also known as the ILCE-7M3) as a webcam using a USB cable.
All you need is:
- The correct USB cable
- The correct software
- A compatible webcam application
How Do I Use My Sony A7 III as a USB Webcam?
To use your Sony A7 III as a USB webcam you will need to:
- Have the right USB cable – Use the one supplied by Sony or a replacement cable which has data transfer. (See examples further down)
- Have the Sony Imaging Edge Webcam software.
- Have a compatible application to use such as Zoom, Skype or OBS Studio.
This post will teach you how to achieve high quality video by using your Sony A7 III as a webcam using USB.
What is Shutter Speed ? - Photography Pursuits
What USB Cable Do I Need to Use My Sony A7 III as a Webcam?
To use your Sony A7 III as a USB webcam you will need to use a USB cable.
The Sony A7 III has ports for both Micro USB and USB Type-C.
You should have been supplied with a Micro USB cable when you bought the Sony A7 III.
If you have lost the USB cable the camera was supplied with, then you should be able to use any replacement Micro USB or USB-C cable that has data transfer capabilities.
Just make sure that you get one that can also fit into your computer/laptop.
It’s likely your PC either uses ports that fit USB Type-A or USB Type-C.
Below are some example cables for different scenarios.
What Software Do I Need to Use My Sony A7 III as a USB Webcam?
You will need to download and install the latest Imaging Edge Webcam software.
Here’s how to do that.
- Go to the support website for the Imaging Edge Webcam software.
- Click on ‘Download’.
- Scroll down to the section where it asks you to choose your camera model. You will want to choose the ILCE-7M3 which is the product code for the Sony Alpha 7 III.
- Scroll further down and click on ‘Download Windows’ or ‘Download Mac’ depending on what type of device you have.
- Choose a suitable location to save the application on your device. The file should look something like ‘IEW111_2108a.exe’ if you are on Windows. The file will probably end in ‘.dmg’ if you are on Mac.
- Once it is downloaded, open up the downloaded file and it should start going through the installation and setup wizard.
- Follow the instructions that are shown until setup and installation is complete.
- Once installation is complete you should restart your computer.
Now we will move on to show you how to set up your Sony A7 III to work as a USB webcam with the software you just downloaded.
How to Set up Sony A7 III as a USB Webcam
There are specific instructions you need to follow to ensure that the Sony A7 III can work with the Imaging Edge Webcam software.
- Make sure the Sony A7 III camera is not connected to a smartphone. You can do this by doing both of the following on the camera:
- MENU -> (Network) / (Wireless) -> [Ctrl w/ Smartphone] -> [Ctrl w/ Smartphone] -> [Off]
- MENU -> (Setup) -> [USB Connection] -> [PC Remote]
Now that the settings are correct you can move on to the next step.
- Adjust the camera settings until you have your desired look in ‘Movie’ mode.
- Connect the USB cable we mentioned above to the Sony A7 III. Connect the other side of the cable to your PC.
- If you are unable to connect, then make sure you are not using ‘Imaging Edge Remote’. If you are then exit ‘Imaging Edge Remote’ and try to connect the camera again.
- Now open up your compatible application on your computer. This could be something like Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Skype etc. Most video conferencing/streaming programs should work fine.
- Locate the Imaging Edge Webcam feed in your video settings for your webcam app. This should connect your camera’s video feed to your live streaming or video conferencing app.
- You should now have a much better quality image for your online video conferences or live streams.
Did you know you can also use your Sony a7 III as a webcam using HDMI ?
If you’re not sure what method is best for you then you should check out our post where we compare the different methods to use the Sony a7 III as a webcam.