You can use your iPhone to connect through Wi-Fi to your Canon EOS Rebel T7 (also known as the Canon EOS 2000D).
This article shows you how to have the correct Wi-Fi setup for the Canon Rebel T7.
This method to connect your phone to your Canon Rebel T7 will allow you to:
- Use your iPhone as a remote control to take pictures and manipulate the settings on the Rebel T7.
- Transfer files from your Canon Rebel T7 to your iPhone.
I also go through some reasons why your Rebel T7 won’t connect to your iPhone and how you can fix this.
All you need to do is have the Camera Connect app and follow the instructions in this post.
There’s quite a few sections in this post, so feel free to click the table of contents below and click on the bit that’s most relevant to you.
Table of Contents
How To Get Canon Camera Connect App On iPhone
Doing this is the easy part.
All you have to do is go to the app store on your iPhone and find the Canon Camera Connect app.
Simply search ‘Canon Camera Connect’ in your iPhone’s app store and it should come up. It should show that the publisher is ‘Canon Inc.’
Download and install the Canon Camera Connect app, then you can move on to the next step which involves getting the Canon Rebel T7 prepared to connect.
How To Set Up Canon Rebel T7 For Wi-Fi Connection
Before you can connect to your iPhone, you must set up the Canon Rebel T7 so it is ready to connect.
- Turn your Canon Rebel T7 on and make sure you have a memory card inserted.
- Press your ‘Menu’ button.
- Go to the third yellow wrench tab and you should find a setting that says ‘Wi-Fi/NFC’.
- Select this ‘Wi-Fi/ NFC’ setting and make sure it is set to ‘Enable’. Note that doing this will disable USB and HDMI connections.
- When you enable ‘Wi-Fi/ NFC’ for the first time you will be asked to register a nickname for the camera for Wi-Fi connections. Press ‘Ok’ and select the nickname you want.
- Save the name and continue by pressing the ‘Menu’ button.
- Save the nickname and you’ll be taken to the main menu again.
- In the same menu tab (third yellow wrench), find and select the ‘Wi-Fi function’.
- Select the icon which looks like a smartphone which should say ‘Connect to smartphone’.
- Select ‘Easy connection’ and select ‘OK’.
- Now the camera will start waiting to connect to the smartphone. You will be able to see your SSID and Encryption key.
Don’t press cancel, just leave the camera on this screen because you will need it.
How to Connect Canon Rebel T7 to iPhone
Before trying to connect your iPhone, make sure you have followed all the instructions in the previous section for ‘How To Set Up Canon Rebel T7 For Wi-Fi Connection‘.
- Go to your iPhone and open your WiFi settings.
Under your Wi-Fi settings you should see the networks that are nearby.
Your Canon Rebel T7 should show up now with the SSID shown on your camera’s screen.
- Select your camera as the chosen Wi-Fi network and it will ask you for a password.
- The password you want to enter here is the ‘Encryption Key’ that you should be able to see on your camera’s screen.
- Once you have entered the password /encryption key, return to your iPhone’s home screen.
- Navigate to the Canon Camera Connect app on your iPhone which you installed earlier.
- When you open the Canon Camera Connect app for the first time you will have to agree to the terms and conditions.
- After you have agreed to the terms and conditions and entered the app, it should show up with your Canon EOS Rebel T7 after a short wait.
Tap to select the camera and you should receive a message which says ‘Operate the camera to establish a connection’.
- Go back to your camera and you should see a screen that says ‘Connect to this smartphone:’ followed by your phone name.
- When you see this screen select ‘ok’ and the camera will start to connect to the iPhone.
- When the camera and iPhone are connected you will see a message that says ‘Connection established.’.
You can now transfer images from your Canon Rebel T7 to your iPhone and also control your camera from your iPhone through the Canon Camera Connect app.
Read the next two sections to see how to do this…
How To Transfer Images From Rebel T7 To iPhone Using Camera Connect
To download pictures from your Canon Rebel T7 to your iPhone using the Canon Camera Connect app do the following:
- Make sure your Rebel T7 and iPhone are connected as per the instructions earlier in this post.
- On your Canon Camera Connect app, tap the option that says ‘Images on camera’.
- You will start to see images from your camera on your phone screen.
- Press ‘Select’ in the top right corner of the screen.
- Now tap on the images that you want to transfer to your iPhone.
- Once you have selected your chosen images, tap the download button. This button should be in the middle, at the bottom of the screen. It should be an arrow pointing down.
- You may be shown an option to either save the images at the original or at a reduced size. Choose which you would like and then press ‘ok’.
- Your chosen photos will now be transferred and saved to your iPhone.
How To Control Your Canon Rebel T7 With iPhone
Once you are connected to your Canon Rebel T7, you can control your camera from your iPhone.
This is useful if you need to place the camera away from where you are standing, or if you want to take a photo of yourself with the camera.
Do the following to control your Rebel T7 from your iPhone:
- Ensure your Rebel T7 and iPhone are connected, as per the instructions earlier in this post.
- On your Canon Camera Connect app, tap the option that says ‘Remote Live View Shooting.’
- Your iPhone will now load up a preview of what the camera can see through its lens.
- If you move your camera around, you should see the ‘live view’ on your phone change (make sure the lens cap is off!).
- From this interface on your phone, you can change the main settings like the ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. You can also change other settings too.
- Anytime you change the settings the live view will update with how the camera will take the picture.
- e.g. If you make the shutter speed high, you should see the image get darker (because it would let less light into the exposure).
This feature on the Camera Connect app makes it easy to use your iPhone as a remote control for your Canon Rebel T7.
How To Connect A Different iPhone To Your Rebel T7
You might have more than one iPhone, or you may want to use a friend’s iPhone to connect to your Canon Rebel T7.
Luckily, you can do this without getting rid of your settings for your own iPhone.
This way, you can seamlessly switch between the iPhones without doing the setup process from the beginning.
Here’s how to connect to an additional mobile device:
- Go to the third yellow wrench menu.
- Select ‘Wi-Fi Function’.
- In this menu, select ‘Connect to Smartphone’.
- In this menu, select ‘Choose set.’
- Choose a set that is ‘not configured’. SET 1 will be the first smartphone you connected, so you don’t want to mess with the settings for that.
It’s likely that SET 2 and SET 3 will be ‘(not configured)’, so these should be free to use.
- Now you will begin the connection process for a second smartphone. All you have to do is follow the instructions we detailed earlier.
- Go back to the instructions for ‘How to Connect Canon Rebel T7 to iPhone’ and follow the instructions for your second iPhone.
How to rename the Wi-Fi connection settings for Smartphones on Canon Rebel T7
You may want to rename the Wi-Fi connection settings for different smartphones to make it easier to recognise who’s phone you are connecting to.
Here’s how to rename the Wi-Fi connections:
- Go to the third yellow wrench menu.
- Select ‘Wi-Fi function’.
- Select ‘Connect to Smartphone’.
- Select ‘Choose set.’.
- Select the ‘Set’ that you want to rename.
- On the ‘Connect to smartphone’ menu, select ‘Review/change settings’.
- Select ‘Change settings name’.
- Choose and type out the desired name (E.g. Bob’s iPhone, Kim’s iPhone, etc.). Use the trash can button to delete the default name, then type in the new name using the directional pad and the ‘set’ button.
- Press ‘Menu’ to continue with the new name, then select ‘OK’.
You should now have a custom name for this Wi-Fi connection setting.
How To Reconnect Your iPhone To Your Canon Rebel T7 After The First Time (Easy And Quick)
After you have connected your iPhone to your Canon Rebel T7 once, it is easier to do it again if you do it correctly.
Here’s how to reconnect to your Canon Rebel T7 with your smartphone.
- Go to the third yellow wrench menu.
- Select the ‘Wi-Fi function’.
- Select ‘Connect to smartphone’.
- Select ‘Choose set.’.
- Select the ‘Set’ that you want to connect to. If you have already connected your phone, it is likely to be ‘SET1’, but you may have also named this (e.g. Bob’s iPhone).
- Back in the ‘Connect to smartphone’ menu, select ‘Connect’ at the bottom.
- When you see the ‘Connect to device’ message, select ‘ok’.
- Your camera will now start to connect to the selected device. You will now need to take action on your smartphone.
- On your iPhone, go to your Wi-Fi settings.
- Select and connect to the Canon Rebel T7 from your Wi-Fi settings. This may show as the SSID that you previously used for this camera.
- Open the Canon Camera Connect app.
- The Canon Rebel T7 should now be reconnected to your iPhone.
Reasons the Canon Rebel T7 Won’t Connect To Your iPhone through Wi-Fi
If you lose Wi-Fi connection to your iPhone from your Rebel T7 and can’t reconnect, there could be a few reasons for this:
- The Canon Camera Connect app needs an update (Issue 1)
- Your phone has had an update since you last connected (Issue 2)
- The camera’s wireless settings need to be reset (Issue 3)
The steps below address each of the three issues above, and you should be able to reconnect to your iPhone if you follow the instructions.
The Canon Camera Connect App Needs An Update (Issue 1)
- First, uninstall the Canon Camera Connect app from your iPhone.
- Once the Camera Connect app is un-installed from your iPhone, turn off your phone and turn it back on.
- Go back to your app store and reinstall the Canon Camera Connect app.
This process should ensure the existing version of the app is un-installed, a new version is installed, and the new version is up to date with no pre-existing data or settings.
Your iPhone Has Had An Update Since You Last Connected (Issue 2)
If your phone has had an update, some settings may be incompatible with the app or the camera’s Wi-Fi settings.
To solve this, move on to the next heading as you just need to reset your settings on your camera.
The Camera’s Wireless Settings Need To Be Reset (Issue 3)
If you have a new version of the app and your phone is up to date, you may need to reset your wireless settings, and 99% of the time, this should fix your problem of connecting.
To perform a wireless setting reset for your Canon Rebel T7, do the following:
- Press the ‘Menu’ button and go to the third yellow wrench tab.
- Select ‘Wi-Fi function’ setting.
- In the ‘Wi-Fi function’ menu, press the ‘DISP’ button on your camera. This button is to the right of the ‘Q’ button.
- You will see a message that says ‘Reset Wi-Fi settings to defaults’.
- Select ‘OK’, and your camera will reset its wireless communication settings to the default settings.
- Once this is complete, reboot your Canon Rebel T7.
- You should now be able to reconnect to your iPhone without any issues. You will have to connect the device as if it was never connected, since you have reset your settings on the Camera.
- To reconnect your smartphone to your Canon Rebel T7, follow the instructions from the start of this post.
What Is My Canon Rebel T7 Camera Wifi Password?
This can confuse a lot of people.
It confused me too the first time!
As mentioned in the instructions earlier, the Wi-Fi password for your Rebel T7 is the ‘encryption key’.
The encryption key will show on the camera’s screen as part of the Wi-Fi connection process.
To find the encryption key on the Canon Rebel T7, you can find it in step 11 under the instructions for the heading ‘How To Set Up Canon Rebel T7 For Wi-Fi Connection‘
So remember, the ‘encryption key’ is your Wi-Fi password for your Canon Rebel T7.
To summarise, you can connect your iPhone to your Canon Rebel T7 to:
- Transfer files from your Rebel T7 to your iPhone
- Control your camera through your iPhone
You can do the above by connecting the camera and iPhone through Wi-Fi. To do this, you need:
- Your Canon Rebel T7
- Your iPhone
- Canon Camera Connect app
The videos below also cover all the information in this post.