The Canon EOS Rebel SL3, also known as the Canon EOS 250D, can use a wide range of lenses that are designed to fit its EF-S lens mount.
Not only can you use all of Canon’s own EF and EF-S lenses, but you can also use some lenses from third-party brands like Tamron and Sigma.
Here’s a quick summary table showing you which lenses are compatible with the Canon Rebel SL3 (250D).
|Lens Type||Compatibility with Canon Rebel SL3|
|Canon EF Lenses||Fully compatible ✅|
|Canon EF-S||Fully compatible ✅|
|Sigma Lenses||Some lenses are compatible ✅|
|Tamron Lenses||Some lenses are compatible ✅|
|Canon RF Lenses||Not compatible ❌|
|Canon EF-M lenses||Not compatible ❌|
|Nikon Lenses||Some, with an adaptor 🤔|
Here are some of the best lenses for the Canon Rebel SL3 (250D):
- Best lens for beginners 💰 – Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
- Great prime lens which is perfect for portraits
- Has a fast aperture at a low price point
- Best all-in-one Lens 💪🏼 – Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Art Lens for Canon
- Perfect for:
- Product photography
- Street photography
- Canon’s equivalent would be the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
- Perfect for:
- Best Wide Angle lens 🏞 – Tamron 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di-II VC HLD for Canon APS-C
- Great for:
- Large events
- Real estate and architecture
- Automotive photography
- Great for:
- Best Telephoto lens 🦅 – Canon EF 70-300MM f/4-5.6 IS II USM
- Great for:
- Great for:
While there are definitely lenses out there with superior specs, they often come with a higher price tag too.
So, for your budget-friendly SL3, the lens recommendations I provided should do the trick without breaking the bank.
If you were using a more premium full-frame camera I would have recommended more premium lenses instead.
💡 If you’re totally clueless about what photography genre you’re into and you’re a beginner on a tight budget, then just go for the Canon Rebel SL3 with the kit lens, and throw in the nifty fifty as well.
It’s a solid combo to get started without going broke.
This is the exact setup I used when I started my journey in photography, but with the Canon Rebel SL2 (200D) instead.
By using the kit lens and the nifty fifty you’ll get a feel for which focal lengths you feel limited in.
Then you can move on to get higher-quality lenses for more specific uses.
Recommended Rebel SL3 Starter Kit – Absolute Beginners
One of the most popular entry-level Canon DSLRs that can shoot 4k, has an external mic, and can shoot at 1080p 60fps
Table of Contents
What Lens Mount Does the Canon Rebel SL3 Use?
💡 The Canon Rebel SL3 uses the EF-S lens mount.
The EF-S lens mount lets you use any EF or EF-S lens made by Canon and some third-party brands have also made brands to fit with this mount too.
Even with just Canon’s own EF or EF-S lenses there’s over 100 to choose from, but add on all the third-party lenses and you’ve got even more of a selection.
So yeah you definitely won’t struggle with finding a suitable lens for your Canon Rebel SL3.
Can The Rebel SL3 Use EF lenses?
Yes the EF-S mount lets the Rebel SL3 use any EF lens but you just have to remember that there is a crop factor of 1.6x because the Rebel SL3 is a crop sensor camera.
To see the full frame equivalent focal lengths for the Rebel SL3 use my crop sensor to full frame equivalent calculator.
What Size Lens Does The Canon SL3 Use?
If you’re wondering about the lens that comes with the Rebel SL3 as standard, it uses the 18-55mm size kit lens. The 18-55mm here is talking about the focal length of the lens.
But the Rebel SL3 can use lenses of lots of different ‘sizes’ (or focal lengths) as long as they’re compatible with the lens mount of the Canon Rebel SL3.
Does The Canon SL3 Use Interchangeable Lenses?
Yes, the Canon EOS Rebel SL3 is a DSLR so it uses interchangeable lenses.
When you buy the camera it tends to come with the kit lens which is an 18-55mm lens.
Since the Rebel SL3 is an interchangeable lens camera, you don’t have to stick with this kit lens.
You can use any other compatible lens depending on what kind of lens you need for your genre of photography or videography.
Can I Use Sigma Lenses On The Canon Rebel SL3?
Yes, you can use Sigma lenses on the Canon Rebel SL3, but you can easily make a mistake here
- Don’t use Sigma lenses with ‘DN’ in the name (designed for mirrorless cameras)
- DC is equivalent to EF-S lenses (designed for crop sensors)
- DG is equivalent to EF lenses (designed for full frame)
- Make sure you pick the Canon version and not the Nikon version (Sigma sells both with the same naming structure)
If you’re buying on Amazon then you’ll normally have an option to pick between the Canon or Nikon version on the product page.
- You can use Sigma lenses that are ‘DC’ or ‘DG’ with your Canon Rebel SL3.
- You cannot use Sigma lenses that are ‘DN’ with your Canon Rebel SL3.
- Also, make sure to specifically choose the version made ‘For Canon’
Does Canon SL3 Work With Tamron Lenses?
Yes, Tamron lenses can be used on the Canon EOS Rebel SL3, but just like with Sigma lenses you can easily make a mistake here.
Here’s a quick summary:
- Don’t use Tamron lenses that have Di III in the name (these are for mirrorless cameras)
- Di II is equivalent to EF-S lenses (designed for crop sensors)
- Di is equivalent to EF lenses (designed for full frame)
- Make sure you pick the Canon version and not the Nikon version (Tamron sells both with the same naming structure)
So you can use Tamron lenses that are ‘Di I’ or ‘Di II’ with your Canon Rebel SL3, but you cannot use Tamron lenses that are ‘Di III’ with your Canon Rebel SL3.
Also, remember to make sure to specifically choose the version made ‘For Canon’
Can I use Nikon Lenses on Canon Rebel SL3?
Nikon DSLR lenses can only fit a Canon DSLR if you use an adapter.
So straight out of the box, you can’t just put a Nikon lens on a Rebel SL3.
If you do have Nikon F mount lenses then you can use them on Canon DSLR cameras like the Canon Rebel SL3 but there’s quite a lot of drawbacks to doing this and I wouldn’t really bother.
- Related Reading: Using Nikon Lenses on Canon Cameras
Does the Rebel SL3 use RF-Mount Lenses?
No, there’s no way of using RF lenses on the Canon EOS Rebel SL3 (250D).
Can I use EF-M mount lenses on the Canon Rebel SL3
No, there’s no way to use EF-M lenses on the Rebel SL3 and there’s no adaptors that can make this happen either.
Now you should know which lenses work on the Canon EOS Rebel SL3 (250D) and you won’t go putting the wrong lens in the wrong camera hole!
Did you know the Canon Rebel SL3 is one of the affordable Canon cameras with 1080p at 60 fps?