The Panasonic GX85 is a mirrorless camera which makes up part of Panasonic’s GX series of cameras.
There are recording limits for the GX85, but these depend on the settings that you are using when recording as well as some other factors.
If you are looking for the G85 and not the GX85 then check out the post linked below:
How Long Can The Panasonic GX85 Record For?
According to the advanced operating manual:
What is Shutter Speed ? - Photography Pursuits
- If you record MP4 in FHD, HD OR VGA the recording will stop when one of the following two occur:
- The continuous record time reaches 29 minutes and 59 seconds.
- The file size of the recording exceeds 4GB.
- If you record MP4 in 4K you can record without interruptions, but the files will be recorded and played back in separate files as per the following:
- If you record using an SDHC memory card, a new file is created when the file exceeds 4GB.
- If you record using an SDXC card a new file is created if the recording time exceeds 3 hours and 4 minutes, or if the file exceeds 96GB.
So the main take away from this is that if you want to record for an (practically) unlimited amount of time then the first step is to make sure you are recording in 4K.
If you also want all your footage to be in one file then you should be using an SDXC card with a file size of 96GB or more.
This will maximise how much footage you can get into one file.
Once you have done this then the limit to your recording will be when one of the the following occur:
- Your battery runs out.
- The SD card becomes full.
- The camera overheats.
What SD Card Should I Use With The GX85 for Long Videos?
This depends on how much footage you need to record and what type of footage.
For example, 4K footage will take up a lot more memory than FHD or HD quality footage.
When using a 64GB SDXC card, you can expect to record around 1 hour 30 minutes in 4K footage before the SD card fills up.
Here are some examples of SD cards that are recommended for use with the GX85:
If you are recording a lot of video, we would recommend an SD card which has at least 64GB of storage.
How Long Does the Lumix GX85 Battery Last When Recording 4K?
The Panasonic GX85 uses a Panasonic DMW-BLG10 battery pack which has a size of 1025 mAh.
According to the manual, if you are recording in 4K then you should be able to get between 40-80 minutes of recording time, but some users have reported getting around 90 minutes.