There are two methods of using the Panasonic LUMIX GH5 (DC-GH5) as a webcam to live stream…
This post shows you how to get the best webcam quality using your Panasonic Lumix GH5.
It requires the use of a ‘Clean HDMI’ output and a capture card…
Don’t worry, we’ll tell you how to do it easily.
What is Shutter Speed ? - Photography Pursuits
To summarise, the set-up we recommend is as follows:
- Connect your Panasonic LUMIX GH5 camera to a capture card using a HDMI cable.
- Plug the capture card into your computer.
- Use a suitable webcam software and use the feed from the capture card for high quality video for video calls or live streaming.
- Enable clean HDMI for the best results.
This post will guide you through the above steps in further details and provide you with helpful tips to make sure you get the most out of this setup.
Can I use the Lumix Webcam Software for the Panasonic LUMIX GH5?
You may see online that you can use the LUMIX Webcam Software (Beta) to use the Panasonic Lumix GH5 camera as a webcam for live streaming.
While this is an alternate method of using the LUMIX GH5 as a webcam you will not achieve the same level of quality as the method described in this post.
For example, with the webcam utility software you can’t achieve Full HD 1080p quality. You are also unable to use audio from the camera or any external mics attached to the camera.
This is why we are using a capture card and a HDMI output.
*The above is true at the point of writing this post which is May 2022.
What Accessories Do I Need to Use My Panasonic GH5 as a HDMI Webcam?
To use your Panasonic LUMIX GH5 as a HDMI webcam you will need a few accessories for different things.
- Essential – HDMI cable (HDMI A)
- Essential – Capture Card (we recommend the Elgato Cam Link 4K)
- Essential – Webcam software e.g. Zoom, Microsoft Teams, OBS Studio
- Optional but recommended* – AC Adapter with dummy battery/DC coupler
- Optional* – Tripod
You will need this to connect your Panasonic Lumix GH5 to your capture card.
This is just a standard HDMI cable (also known as HDMI Type A) that we use for things like games consoles, external monitors etc.
2. Capture Card (we recommend the Elgato Cam Link 4K)
This is essential.
The best way to use the Panasonic Lumix GH5 as a webcam is to use a HDMI output and a capture card.
The capture card will be outputting the footage straight from your camera to your webcam or live stream via a HDMI output.
We recommend the Elgato Cam Link 4K as Elgato is a reputable company with a product which is easy to use.
It also has a camera compatibility checker so you are certain that your Panasonic LUMIX GH5 works with the Elgato Cam Link 4K.
The Elgato Cam Link 4K is also the most recommended product because it uses a UVC driver.
This basically means it is universally compatible with any conference software that is able to use webcams e.g. Zoom, Skype or OBS Studio.
Below you can see a screenshot from Elgato’s website showing compatibility with the Panasonic Lumix GH5.
To check for yourself you can go to this Elgato camera checker link, search for Panasonic, and go to the Lumix GH5.
You can check the current price and availability for the Elgato Cam Link 4K on Amazon at the link below.
3. Webcam software e.g. Zoom, Microsoft Teams, OBS Studio
You have quite a bit of freedom here.
You will need a webcam/streaming software that you want to use.
Luckily, the Elgato Cam Link 4K should work with most popular webcam or streaming software.
For extra information you can check out Elgato’s page for ‘Supported Software for the Cam Link 4K’.
1. Recommended* – AC Adapter with Dummy Battery/DC coupler
Having constant power is quite important if you are streaming or using the Panasonic LUMIX GH5 for a long period of time.
If you plan to stream for a prolonged period of time then you don’t want your camera to run out of power.
The AC adapter uses a dummy battery in the battery compartment of the camera and allows your camera to have continuous power.
This will ensure that you will not run out of power when streaming for long periods of time on the Panasonic LUMIX GH5.
Below is an example of a dummy battery kit which is compatible with the Panasonic LUMIX GH5.
Having somewhere stable for your camera to sit is essential when using it as a webcam.
The last thing you want is shaky footage or a camera that gets knocked out of place during a video call or stream.
If you don’t already have a tripod then you may want to invest in one as they can provide more flexibility and stability to your setup.
- Neewer Table Top Tripod – if you need to place your tripod on your desk or table.
- GorillaPod 5K – if you need a lot of flexibility you can attach this to pretty much anything.
- SmallRig Tripod – if you have more space and don’t mind having a larger tripod.
What Software Do I Need to Use My Panasonic Lumix GH5 as a HDMI Webcam?
To use the Panasonic LUMIX GH5 as a HDMI webcam for live streaming you will need software that is compatible with the capture card you decide to use.
Elgato Cam Link 4K is universally compatible with any conference software that is able to use webcams, like Zoom or Skype.
You can also use it with popular streaming software like OBS Studio.
To read more about compatibility with the Cam Link 4K check out the following link ‘Supported Software for the Cam Link 4K’.
If you decide to use a different capture card then please check the compatibility for that specific capture card with the webcam/streaming software that you intend to use.
Set Up the Panasonic LUMIX GH5 As A HDMI Webcam For Streaming
- Make sure your camera has enough battery or set up the AC adapter so that your camera can receive constant power.
- Use your HDMI cable to connect your camera to the capture card.
- Plug the Elgato Cam Link 4K into a USB port on your computer. You should be using a USB 3.0 port (these USB ports are blue on the inside).
- Open your webcam software on your computer and make sure your camera is turned on.
- Select the appropriate setting so that the Elgato Cam Link 4K is your chosen video feed. (This will depend on the software you decide to use but you can use the Elgato help website for assistance).
- Now you should see a direct feed from your Panasonic LUMIX GH5 on your webcam/streaming software. Adjust your camera settings to suit your preference.
- If you can see lots of icons etc. on your video feed then that means you need to set your camera up to have a Clean HDMI feed.
To make the most of this setup you need to make sure you have the ability to use a Clean HDMI feed on your GH5.
Luckily the Panasonic LUMIX GH5 is able to output a Clean HDMI feed.
How to Enable Clean HDMI on the Panasonic LUMIX GH5
To enable a clean HDMI feed on the GH5 you need to do the following:
- Press the ‘Menu’ button on the camera.
- Go to the ‘Motion Picture’ tab on the left side of the screen. This is the second tab with the ‘movie’ symbol.
- In this menu there should be a setting called ‘HDMI Rec. Output’. This should be found on page 4/4. Select ‘HDMI Rec. Output’ and then select ‘Info Display’ and set it to ‘OFF’.
- Now you should have a ‘Clean HDMI Out’ feed on your Lumix GH5. Your capture card will just be showing the image you are recording and none of the other user interface settings.
The number of pages and locations in your camera menu could change if you have any firmware updates.
The video below shows you how to do the above.
Quick Recap of Items
The 3 main items you need to use your Lumix GH5 as a webcam with a clean HDMI output are as follows: