💡 Here’s a quick summary of the post:
- The shutter count of your Canon 6D shows how much it has been used.
- Based on actual real life user data, the average shutter life on a 6D where the shutter has died is 115,231.
- On Windows you can find the shutter count for the Canon 6D using:
- On Mac you can find the shutter count for the Canon 6D using:
If you want the newer version of the Canon 6D without worrying about shutter life then check out the Canon 6D Mark II
So you’ve got yourself a 10+ year old Canon EOS 6D.
Whether you’re buying it second hand or selling it, you gotta know how to check the shutter count on Canon 6D
It’s the camera equivalent of mileage on a car.
Table of Contents
Instructions To Find The Shutter Count On 6D
Official Canon Method
Sending your Canon 6D to a Canon Service Center for a service and asking them to also provide you with the shutter count is the only official way to do this.
For some reason, Canon doesn’t want to make it easy for us to check our own cameras shutter counts.
Find Your 6D Shutter Count On Windows
1. Canon EOS Digital Info – This one is free.
2. Freeshuttercount – This isn’t free.
Freeshuttercount only provides a shutter count for free if the shutter count is under 1000, and lets be honest if you’re looking at a Canon 6D there’s almost zero chance that the shutter count is under 1000.
To see what the shutter count is for a camera with over 1000 actuations you’re gonna have to pay $7 (price at the time of writing this Mary 2023).
Check 6D Shutter Count On Mac
This one is $10 at the time of writing and it’s for unlimited readings.
2. ShutterCount by Direstudio
This tool is $7.99 for the standard version and $14.99 for the pro version(you don’t really need the pro version).
What Is The Shutter Count On A Canon 6D?
Only cameras that use mechanical shutters have a shutter count. So other cameras like the G7X Mark III don’t actually have a shutter count.
Of course, the Canon 6D does have a mechanical shutter as does every DSLR, so it does have a shutter count.
Basically, every time you take a picture the shutter count goes up and each cycle of the shutter going up and down is called a shutter actuation.
How Long Does The Canon 6D Shutter Last?
- There are some people that still have a 6D with a shutter that is alive after a shutter count of over 500,000!
- There’s a decent amount of people with a shutter count over 150,000
- For about 10% of people, the shutter dies before reaching 50,000 on the Canon EOS 6D
What’s A Good Shutter Count On The Canon 6D?
Remember that the average shutter actuations on a 6D where the shutter has died is 115,231 so you don’t really want to be too close to this number.
But then again, if you get a really good deal it might be worth a shot.
In case you plan to use the Canon EOS 6D for video, you NEED to know about video autofocus on the Canon 6D.