Yes, you can use the Canon EOS 70D as a webcam.
All you need is the correct USB cable, the correct software, and a compatible application.
You need to look out for some things to make sure it all works smoothly.
This post will guide you through each of the above so you know how to use your Canon 70D as a high-quality webcam.
Table of Contents
How Do I Use My Canon EOS 70D as a Webcam?
To use your Canon EOS 70D as a webcam you will need to:
- Have the Canon EOS Webcam Utility software
- Have a compatible application to use such as Zoom, Skype, or Microsoft Teams.
We guide you through each of the above requirements, so you have everything you need to achieve high-quality video by using your Canon EOS 70D as a webcam.
What USB Cable Do I Need to Use My Canon EOS 70D as a Webcam?
When you buy a Canon EOS 70D you will normally have the IFC-400 PCU USB cable supplied with the camera.
If you need a replacement, there are cables on Amazon like the ones linked below. It doesn’t matter which cable you get.
IFC-200U USB CABLE ON AMAZON:
IFC-400PCU USB CABLE ON AMAZON:
What Canon Software Do I Need to Use My Canon EOS 70D as a Webcam?
You will need to download and install the latest Canon EOS Webcam Utility software. Here’s how to do that.
- Go to the Canon support website for the EOS Webcam Utility software.
- Scroll down to the section where it asks you to choose your camera model. You will want to choose the Canon EOS 70D.
- When you click on the Canon EOS 70D you should be taken to this page which is a support page for the Canon EOS 70D.
- Make sure you are on the ‘downloads’ tab and click on ‘software & drivers’.
- Choose the correct windows operating system, it should default to the correct Windows operating software as it normally detects this automatically. For most people, it will say Windows 10 or Windows 10 x64.
- Go down to the list of software and download the ‘EOS Webcam Utility’ software for Windows. Don’t get this confused with ‘EOS Utility’ which is different from ‘EOS Webcam Utility’.
- Download the most recent version of ‘EOS Webcam Utility’ for either Windows or Mac at this site. (at the time of writing this article the most recent version is 1.1).
- Once it is downloaded, open up the downloaded file which should look similar to this ‘EOSWebcamUtility-WIN1.1zip’.
It might look slightly different depending on how recent your version is.
- It should be saved as a .zip file. Open and extract the .zip file. You can normally do this by right-clicking and clicking ‘extract all’.
- Read the ‘readme.txt’ file and run the ‘setup.exe’ file within the folder.
- Follow the instructions that are shown until setup and installation are complete.
- Once installation is complete you should restart your computer.
Now we will move on to show you how to set up your Canon EOS 70D to work as a webcam with the software you just downloaded.
How to Set up My Canon EOS 70D As A Webcam
- Turn your camera on and set it to movie mode.
- Adjust the settings until you have your desired look.
- Connect the USB cable we mentioned above to the camera. The small end should go into your EOS 70D and the other end should go into your computer.
- Now open up your compatible application on your computer. This could be something like Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Skype, etc. (we include a more extensive list below.)
- Locate ‘EOS Webcam Utility’ in your video settings for your webcam app.
This should connect your camera’s video feed to your live streaming or video conferencing app.
- You should now have a much better quality image for your online video conferences or live streams.
What Applications Are Compatible With EOS Webcam Utility?
At the time of writing this article, the following applications are compatible with EOS Webcam Utility so you should be able to use any of them for your webcam needs with your Canon EOS 70D.
- Cisco Webex
- Facebook Live
- Hangouts Meet
- Messenger (Facebook)
- Microsoft Teams
- Open Broadcaster Software (OBS)
- YouTube Live
At the time of writing Canon EOS Webcam Utility currently supports the following Mac OS:
- 10.15 (Catalina)
- 10.14 (Mojave)
- 10.13 (High Sierra)
The compatibility with different applications varies depending on which Mac OS version you are using.
To check for the specifics:
- Go to this link for the EOS Webcam Utility page.
- Scroll down to ‘CHOOSE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM’ and click on Mac.
- Now scroll down to the section with compatible apps.
- Under the list of compatible apps, you will see a section that tells you to click on your specific Mac operating system to check for compatibility.
- Click on the Catalina, Sierra, or Mojave OS to see any specific compatibility issues.
For example, some of the apps may only work in the browser version with certain operating systems.
Common Issues Using The EOS Webcam Utility Software With EOS 70D
Question: Why does EOS Webcam Utility not show up in compatible apps such as Zoom, Skype, Microsoft Teams, etc. when using my EOS 70D?
Answer: Try turning WiFi off on your camera, as this can interfere with using the EOS Webcam Utility software.
Sometimes you may get an error image of a USB with a red cross and this could also be caused by having your WiFi being on.
You want to make sure that the ‘WiFi’ settings are disabled.
The videos below may help you as it also guides you through the setup process.
The first video is for Windows and the second is for Mac.
If you are using the Canon 70D for a long time you may also want to know how to provide continuous power for the Canon EOS 70D.