💡 Here’s a quick summary of everything you need to know about the battery on the Sony ZV-1:
- The Sony ZV-1 uses the NP-BX1 battery pack.
- You can charge the battery by using a micro USB cable and either a 1.5A AC adaptor or a computer as a power source.
- To fully charge the battery on the Sony ZV-1 it takes about 150 minutes using an AC adaptor and about 285 minutes when using a computer.
- The battery life on the NP-BX1 battery is about 260-410 images or between 45-75 minutes of movie recording on the Sony ZV-1. (depends on how you use the camera.)
- You can use the Sony ZV-1 when plugged into a power source, but the battery won’t charge up when doing this.
This post will tell you literally everything you need to know about the Sony ZV-1 battery.
Table of Contents
What Batteries Does the Sony ZV-1 Take?
The Sony ZV-1 uses the NP-BX1 rechargeable battery pack and you will receive one in the box with the camera when you buy the Sony ZV-1.
If you need a replacement battery or if you would like a spare you can check the links below for both the official Sony battery as well as a third-party replacement option.
The official Sony ZV-1 batteries can be somewhat pricey so a lot of people opt to get a third-party brand online.
Sony ZV-1 replacement batteries:
How Long Does the Sony ZV-1 Battery Last?
The Sony ZV-1 battery life depends on how you are using the camera.
But in short, the NP-BX1 battery should last for about 260-410 images or between 45-75 minutes of movie recording on the Sony ZV-1.
Battery Life For Still Images
For still images, the battery life for the Sony ZV-1 is between 260 images and 410 images depending on the [Auto Monitor OFF] setting:
- When [Auto Monitor OFF] is set to [Does not turn OFF] the battery life is about 260 images
- When [Auto Monitor OFF] is set to [2 Sec] the battery life is about 410 images
Battery Life For Movie Recording
For video recording, the battery life for the Sony ZV-1 is between 45-75 minutes depending on how you are shooting movies.
- For ‘continuous shooting of movies’ the battery life on the Sony ZV-1 is around 75 minutes.
- For ‘actual shooting of movies’ the battery life for the Sony ZV-1 is around 45 minutes
Just remember that your recording can stop on the Sony ZV-1 even before the battery runs out because of recording limits on the Sony ZV-1.
What Does Continuous Shooting Mean?
According to the CIPA standard continuous shooting means that there are ‘no operations other than starting and ending shooting.
So this means that you are not doing other stuff with the camera like zooming, leaving the camera on standby or turning it off and on.
What Does ‘Actual Shooting’ Mean?
According to the CIPA standard actual shooting means that there is repeated shooting, zooming, shooting standby-by and turning on/off.
So this tries to mimic how you would naturally use a camera.
Sony ZV-1 Battery Life Conclusion
At the end of the day, both of the estimates above are based on the CIPA standard and not on actual usage.
So battery life Sony ZV-1 is going to be different for everyone depending on how they use it and the conditions they use it in.
For example, the temperature it is used in can affect the battery life of the Sony ZV-1.
I would just use the CIPA rating as a guideline.
I’ve had camera batteries that last longer than what CIPA says and cameras that last less time than what CIPA says.
How Do You Charge a Sony ZV-1 Battery With an AC Adaptor?
To charge the battery while it is inserted into the camera do the following:
- Turn the power off and make sure the battery pack is inserted into the camera.
- Connect the camera to an AC adaptor using the micro USB cable which is supplied with the camera. The micro USB side will go into the camera. (use a replacement micro USB cable if you need one).
- Connect the AC adaptor to a wall socket to give it power.
*NOTE* You won’t receive an AC adaptor along with the camera so you will have to use one that you already have or you will have to purchase one for yourself.
The AC adaptor should be at least 1.5A or higher.
Here is an example of an AC adaptor you could use.
If you have lost the micro USB cable that comes with your Sony ZV-1 you may want a replacement like the one below.
Replacement USB charger cable for Sony ZV-1:
How Do You Charge a Sony ZV-1 Battery By Connecting to a Computer?
To charge the battery using a computer do the following:
- Turn off the camera.
- Make sure your computer is turned on with power.
- Connect the camera to a computer using the micro USB cable which is supplied with the camera. The micro USB side will go into the camera.
- The orange charging light should light up on the Sony ZV-1 to show that it is charging.
How Do I Know If My Sony ZV-1 Is Charging?
The Sony ZV-1 has an orange charging light which will let you know whether the camera is charging or not.
While the battery is charging the orange charging light will be lit (not flashing).
When the battery is fully charged the orange charging light will go off.
For example, if the light turns on briefly and turns straight off then it suggests that the camera battery is already fully charged.
If the charging light is flashing then that means there is either a charging error or the camera has stopped charging temporarily due to being at the wrong temperature.
💡 The recommended temperature range for charging is 10°C to 30°C (50ºF to 86ºF).
If you know that the battery is not fully charged and you received the flashing error then a common fix is to remove the battery and USB cable from the camera and then re-insert them both.
Can I Use The Sony ZV-1 While The Battery Is Being Charged?
Yes, you can use the Sony ZV-1 even while it is plugged into a power source, but the battery won’t actually charge.
This is because the power coming through the USB cable will just be used to power the camera directly.
If you want to actually charge the battery up you will need to leave the camera off or use a different battery in the camera and charge the battery using a separate battery charger.
But it’s not really that much of a problem because you’re still able to use the camera.
This is perfect for people who just want to use the Sony ZV-1 at home for things like zoom calls or live-streaming since it can be plugged into a wall socket near you.
How Long Does the Sony ZV-1 Take to Fully Charge?
The charging times below are based on a completely depleted battery charging at a temperature of 25 °C (77 °F), so your charging time can vary depending on the situation.
Charging time with a 1.5A AC adaptor
The charging time for a full charge on the Sony ZV-1 is approximately 150 minutes (2 hours 30 minutes) when using an AC adaptor with a rated output of 1.5A.
Charging time using a computer
The charging time for a full charge on the Sony ZV-1 is approximately 285 minutes (4 hours 45 minutes) when using a computer to charge the battery.