Yes, the Sony ZV-1 has different recording time limits depending on the settings used.
How Long Does The Sony ZV-1 Record Before Turning Off?
The maximum continuous recording time for a single movie shooting session is approximately 13 hours. This will depend on things like the temperature and the video settings used.
If you are shooting in 4K then the default recording limit is set to 5 minutes for any single recording.
The default 5 minutes limit for 4K recording is set because the camera’s temperature will rise faster when recording in 4K.
The camera will automatically stop recording to stop the temperature rising too high.
So if you’re wondering why your Sony ZV-1 stops recording after 5 minutes then this is the reason.
Even though it can be seen as a safety feature, the 5 minutes can be a bit short for some people and you may want to remove this limit.
Luckily there is a way to remove the recording limit on the Sony ZV-1 when recording in 4K.
How to Remove the Recording Limit When Recording in 4K
To remove the 5 minute recording limit when shooting in 4k you will need to change the setting for “[Auto Power OFF Temp.]” from ‘standard’ to ‘high’.
To remove the 5 minute limit on 4K footage do the following:
- Go to the MENU on your Sony ZV-1
- Press the ‘Fn’ button until you reach the ‘Setup’ menu. This is the tab which has a little icon of a toolbox.
- You want to navigate to the ‘Auto Power OFF temp.’ setting on page two of your setup menu. It should say ‘setup2’ at the top.
- Select this ‘Auto Power OFF temp.’ option and change the setting from ‘standard’ to ‘high’.
- The 5 minute recording limit for 4K recording is now removed and you should get a lot more recording time for your 4K videos.
Here’s a good video to show you how to do the above:
The recording time you get beyond the 5 minutes on 4K depends on a variety of factors such as the ambient temperature of the room.
To ensure you can get the most out of your camera make sure to turn it off when it is not being used so it can cool down in between recordings.